Image Attribution: “Social Networking site” by Ayush Karki is licensed under CC BY-NC. (See interactive map)

Ayush Karki

T00687740

VISA 1500, Assignment 3, 01

Terryl Atkins

The development of the internet has made a drastic change in the way of communication with people. A social networking site (SNS) is an online platform by which its users can create a public profile and interact with different users. We live in a developing and high-speed society day by day, and we must contact the people around us. Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter is some of the famous and most used social networking sites. LinkedIn is used to develop a professional career. While Facebook and Instagram are used to establish professional and private connections. These all platforms are free of cost to start for every individual. Uses of social networking sites also differ with age. College students or young adults are more likely seen to spend their time using social media. Students do acquire many benefits using social networking sites if they used them for their studies without wasting their time on other unwanted entertainment things in social media (Liu and Tsai ).

SNS usage is very diverse and cultural all people around the globe are connected to each other. SNS have both positive and negative sides. Every day I use social media such as messenger to contact my family members. In Canada, I have seen most people use WhatsApp but back in my country, Nepal messenger is the most famous social networking site to contact your friends, relatives, and friends. It also helps you to create groups and talk with all of them by video call and audio call. Facebook is my personal favorite social networking site and I use this whenever I am free for entertainment and also to watch and read the news about what’s going on in this busy world. I haven’t posted anything informative on Facebook, but I receive news from different Facebook pages.

People who live far from their friends and family members such as international students, migrant workers can have a conversation and see what’s going on in the life of their loved ones free of cost with the help of the internet and the platforms of SNS are using. However, research also shows that young adults who are highly active on platforms like Facebook and more depressed are more depressed because they see they see people sharing their pictures of living a luxurious life and they think that they think that their life is boring and forgot to get satisfaction from the things that are going well in their life. (Strickland)

Works Cited

Liu, Ying and Yea-Ru Tsai . “International Journal of Arts and Commerce.” The impact of social networking services (SNS) on college students’ social relationship (2012): 1-10.

Strickland, Amelia. “Exploring the Effects of Social Media Use on the Mental Health of Young Adults.” (2014).